Abandoned NC&STL Railway
Route Between Memphis, Jackson & Bruceton
List of Stations, Mileposts, Speed Limits & Items in
South half of Paducah and Memphis Division
|Items of interest (1950's or early)||1910|
|Bruceton (1) *||4617+82||87.8||0.0||404|
|Yard||junction, coal chute, ice plant, water tank, sand house, diesel shop, roundhouse, freight house, depot||-||1204|
|Hollow Rock *||4707+58||89.5||1.7||418|
|-||junction, track realignment||250||393|
|Cooper Clay Spur *||4781+50||90.9||3.1||460||5||spur, track realignment||-||-|
|Buena Vista *||4945+18||94.0||6.2||505||66||spur, stockpen, 4 section houses, depot||150||400|
|Westport * ||5256+70||99.9||12.1||432||50||water tank, stockpen, 4 section houses, depot||172||162|
|Yuma (25) *||5457+34||103.7||15.9||481||50||spurs, water tank, 4 section houses, depot||200||200|
|County Line||5562+94||105.7||17.9||442||-||between Carroll & Henderson Counties||-||-|
|Wildersville * ||5716+06||108.6||20.8||478|
|65||spurs, freight depot, stockpen, 3 section houses, shelter||98||300|
|Timberlake * ||5990+62||113.8||26.0||559||66||depot, shelter, track realignment||12||-|
|Wards *||6164+86||117.6||29.8||509||-||spur, track realignment||-||-|
|Lexington (26) * ||6259+90||118.9||31.1||492|
|junction, spurs, scales, coal chute, pump house, water tank, sand house, stockpens, depot||1,497||3,566|
|Hinson Springs *||6376+06||121.1||33.3||431|
|Life (13) *||6555+58||124.5||36.7||509||63||spur, depot, track realignment||27||27|
|Huron *||6735+10||127.9||40.1||412||11||4 section houses, depot, shelter, track realignment||75||75|
|Luray *||6877+66||130.6||42.8||400||85||stockpens, depot, shelter||200||200|
|County Line||6988+54||132.7||44.9||398||-||between Henderson & Madison Counties||-||-|
|Beech Bluff (14) *||7046+62||133.8||46.0||387|
|66||4 section houses, depot, shelter||106||200|
|Alexander||7363+42||139.8 +/-||52.0 +/-||413||-||-||-||-|
|Rose Hill *||7416+22||NG 140.8||53.0||448|
|East Union Spur *||7458+46||NG 141.6||53.8||436||1||-||-||-|
|End of Line||7479+58||NG 142.0 +/-||54.2 +/-||406||-||spur||-||-|
|Commerce Street||7548+22||NG 143.3||55.5||390||84||double tracks, spurs||-||-|
|Jackson * ||7601+02||NG 144.3||56.5||350||-||double tracks, spurs, signal, scales, water tank, freight house, depot, museum||15,779||30,207|
|River Yard Siding (18) *||7664+38||NG 145.5||57.7||350||Yard|
|double tracks, junction, spurs, signals||-||-|
|Burkitt *||7812+22||NG 148.3||60.5||390|
|End of Line||7843+90||NG 148.8||61.0||405||-||spur||-||-|
|Grover (28) *||7954+78||151.0||63.2||443|
|Neely *||8113+18||154.0||66.2||483||66||4 section houses, depot, shelter, track realignment||35||-|
|Denmark *||8282+14||157.2||69.4||370||36||spur, stockpens, depot, shelter?||268||69|
|Mercer *||8472+22||160.8||73.0||339||80||spur, 4 section houses, depot||200||350|
|Hatchie * ||8657+02||164.3||76.5||320||21||water tank, depot, shelter||98||30|
|-||between Madison & Haywood Counties||-||-|
|Big Hatchie River ||8672+74||164.6||76.8||320||-||iron truss (17)||-||-|
|County Line||8685+22||164.8||77.0||320||-||between Haywood & Hardeman Counties||-||-|
|66||spurs, stockpen, 4 section houses, depot, shelter||100||100|
|Whiteville *||9142+78||173.5 (2)||85.7||489||80||spurs, water tank, 3 section houses, depot, stockpen||741||794|
|County Line||9264+22||175.8||88.0||468||-||between Hardeman & Fayette Counties||-||-|
|Ina (15) *||9353+98||177.5||89.7||483|
|Laconia (3) *||9491+26||180.1||92.3||434||33||spur, stockpens, 3 section houses, depot||50||50|
|Alexander Sp. *||9776+38||185.5 +/-||97.7 +/-||351||-||-||-||-|
|spurs, coal chute, water tank, stockpen, section house, depot||1,387||1,760|
|Feathers Chapel Drive||9955+90||188.9||101.1||383|
|Demonstration Farm Spur *||10056+22||190.8||103.0||398||-||spur||-||-|
|Warren *||10145+98||192.5||104.7||407||32||stockpens, depot, shelter||95||70|
|Oakland *||10367+74||196.7||108.9||300||80||scale?, 4 section houses, depot, stockpens, track realignment||300||236|
|Hickory Withe (19) *||10578+94||200.7||112.9||312||60||water tank, shelter||75||-|
|Sammons Drive||10689+32||202.8||115.0||308||-||block signal||-||-|
|County Line||10747+90 (9)||203.9||116.1||332||-||between Shelby & Fayette Counties||-||-|
|52||4 section houses, depot, stockpens||81||250|
|Reid Hooker Road||10885+18||206.5||118.7||326||-||block signal?||-||-|
|Lenow (4) * ||11027+91||209.2||121.4||305||-||iron deck trestle, spur||75||-|
|End Of Line||11105+00 (9)||ONI 210.66||122.86||302|
|Washed Out Trestle||11122+95||ONI 211.0||123.2||301||-||collapsed trestle||-||-|
|Last Switch Stand||11133+51||ONI 211.2||123.4||302||-||-||-||-|
|National Fire Works|
|Macon Road @|
Cordova Park Rd.
|Cordova (20) *||11217+99||ONI 212.8||125.0||363||80||siding to Clay, spur, stockpens, depot||150||200|
|Cully Road||11244+39||ONI 213.3||125.5||358||-||siding, 4 section houses||-||-|
|Clay *||11281+35||ONI 214.0||126.2||353||-||siding to Cordova, spur, block signal||-||-|
|Raleigh LaGrange Road||11344+71||ONI 215.2||127.4||326||-||-||-||-|
|Appling Road||11360+55||ONI 215.5||127.7||336||-||-||-||-|
|Whitten Road||11403+80||ONI 216.3||128.5||332||-||block signal||-||-|
|Mullins (16) *||11450+31||ONI 217.2||129.4||285||49||freight depot, 4 section houses, shelter||28||-|
|Gardener Road||11460+87||ONI 217.6||129.8||267||-||spurs||-||-|
|I-240 Expressway||11540+07||ONI 218.9||131.1||250||-||block signal?,iron deck trestle, water tower||-||-|
|Wilson Spur *||11592+70||ONI 219.9||132.1||270||12||spur, track realignment||-||-|
|Berclair *||11640+39||ONI 220.8||133.0||278||23||spur, shelter/platform, track realignment||12||150|
|N. Graham Street||11682+63||ONI 221.6||133.8||276||-||-||-||-|
|High Point Terrace||11703+75||ONI 222.0||134.2||301||-||block signal||-||-|
|Highland Avenue Spur (5) *||11735+43||ONI 222.6||134.8||298||17 +/-||spur||-||-|
|Holmes Street||11756+55||ONI 223.0||135.2||288||-||-||-||-|
|US Fireworks Co. *||11769+37||ONI 223.2||135.3||271||-||spur||-||-|
|Cypress Creek||11774+65 (10)||ONI 223.3||135.5||268||-||burned trestle||-||-|
|Tillman Street||11782+95||ONI 223.5||135.7||270||-||-||-||-|
|Aulon *||11814+63||ONI 224.1||136.3||284|
|Yard||double tracks, junction, spurs, signals, tower||100||-|
|S. Hollywood St.||11835+75||NI 224.5||136.7||293||Yard||double tracks||-||-|
|Avery Avenue||11841+03||NI 224.6||136.8||291||Yard||double tracks||-||-|
|Lenox (12) *||11877+99||NI 225.3||137.5||307||-||double tracks, spurs, scales, depot||-||-|
|Bellevue Yard (11)||11962+47||NI 226.9||139.1||312||Yard||scales||-||-|
|K.C. Junction (6) *||11978+31||NI 227.2||139.4||311||Yard||junction, water tank||-||-|
|S. Dudley Street||12004+71||NI 227.7||139.9||300||-||-||-||-|
|Memphis (7) *||12094+47||NI 229.4||141.6||260||Yard||signal bridges, coal chute, water tank, sand house, power house, engine house, depot, tower, platforms||131,105||396,000|
|NC&STL West Yard (29)||12105+03||NI 229.6||141.8||258||Yard||roundhouse, tower, freight house||-||-|
|Kentucky Street (8)||12108+94 (27)||NI 229.7||141.9||270||-||tower||-||-|
was former known as Hollow Rock Junction per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894.
(2) See an old picture of Whiteville Station with milepost read “173.15”.
(3) Laconia was former known as Eola. Also former Brinkley per 1902 Tennessee, Western Part Map.
(4) Lenow was former known as Arcadia per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894. The other railroad map read “Knox”.
(5) Highland Avenue Spur was former known as Alta per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama map in May 21, 1894.
(6) Kansas City Junction. Interchange Southern Railway, L&N and NC&STL Railroads, west of today Union Pacific’s Sargent Yard. Also begin NS-BNSF shared trackage. See Memphis Terminal Railroad Facilities map on June 14, 1941.
(7) Memphis Union Station.
(8) Westermost CSX trackage in Tennessee per CSX Transportation, Memphis Subdivision.
(9) See the public recorded deed of Abandoned NC&STL Railway Right-of-way with the valuation station in Inst. No. E6-0671 in the Shelby County Register's Office, Tennessee.
(10) See the public recorded deed of engineering plan & profile with the valuation station in Book 6015, Page 468 in the Shelby County Register's Office, Tennessee.
(11) Now Union Pacific Sergant Yard.
(12) Lenox was former known as Montgomery Park per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894.
(13) Life was former known as Fosters per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894.
(14) Beech Bluff was former known as Homer per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894.
(15) Ina was former known as Edna per Paducah, Tennessee & Alabama Railroad in May 21, 1894.
(16) Mullins is also known as Shelby Farms.
(17) Only iron truss railroad bridge and high-height & longest trestles in south half of Padauch & Memphis Division.
(18) River Yard Siding is the same as NC&STL Jackson Yard.
(19) The small settlement was also known by the name of Hickory Grove on an 1836 Fayette County map and it was also known by the name of Wythe.
(20) The small settlement was also known by the name of Dexter on an early 1900's Shelby County map.
(21) Speed Restrictions (as of March 2007). Contributed by Greg Aylor.
Bruceton Yard limits n93.8 to n96.8 controlled speed not exceeding 20 mph yard board to yard board.
Jackson Branch - Rose Hill ng140.3 - Burkitt ng148.3 it is excepted track not to exceed 10 mph.
Aulon to Kentucky Street 10 mph signal indication south bound permission of dispatcher north bound on 101 102 103.
(22) On first curve south of Somerville: P-50, F-45, M-45.
(23) Between Interlocking Distant Signals at Jackson: P-50, F-35, M-35.
(24) Approximate 10 to 15 mph maximum. When John Arnold was a little boy, he can remember to ride in the train went slow down for the bridges. Special thanks to him.
(25) The name of Grovewood was given to the community and later changed to Yuma February 18, 1895.
(26) Lexington is also known as Midland City.
(27) 1913 NC&STL P&M Division profile & alignment sheet (updated in the late 1930's) indicating the end of val. sec. no. 4 is at station 12110+59 and end of track at station 12108+94.
(28) Grover was former known as Nero per 1902 Tennessee, Western Part Map.
(29) West Yard is the same as "NC&STL Main Street Yard" and "NC&STL Calhoun Street Yard".
(30) This entailed advising the Interstate Commerce Commission that the railroad (part of Jackson Branch) would abandon the line effective December 30, 1981. The track scrapped around 1985.
(31) On January 11, 1966, the L&N applied to the Interstate Commerce Commission for permission to abandon the line. The track scrapped in 1968.
(32) On August 24, 2001, CSXT filed with the Surface Transportation Board a petition for exemption to abandon a line of railroad (entire Cordova Branch). The track started to scrap in June 2008.
This webpage designed by Eric C. Fleet. If you have materials that you would like to contribute, contact me at email@example.com.
|Home||Bridges||Depot List||Links||Mystery Station||Perryville Branch||Photos||Railroad Museums||Route Maps||Steam #576||Timetables||Track Realignments||Contact|